Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By admin September 8th, 2011, under Home Safety

While this isn’t technically an episode of Pro Home Safety, Roy posted this on his blog RoyOnRescue. I felt it was a message that was all too perfect for home safety, though, and decided to also post it here. In the video, Roy talks about the possible dangers of Carbon Monoxide gas in the home and garage and how it can occur, how to recognize it and how to prevent it. As we move closer to the end of the year, colder weather is on its’ way to the northern hemisphere, and you won’t want to miss this good reminder about a possible silent killer that can be prevented.

CDC reminds us of some of the basic ways to prevent this from happening.

How can I prevent CO poisoning from my home appliances?

– Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
– Do not use portable flame-less chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don’t have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
– If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator’s cooling unit have an expert service it. An odor from the cooling unit of your gas refrigerator can mean you have a defect in the cooling unit. It could also be giving off CO.
– When purchasing gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as the American Gas Association or Underwriters’ Laboratories.
Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

In Depth C.O. Poisoning Info From the CDC

Post a Response